Friday, June 11, 2010

'Alice in Wonderland' series #1: Rosewater Cupcakes


When I first read about recipes featuring rosewater as an ingredient, I thought of it as very girly, romantic, and somewhat seductive. Rosewater is a byproduct of rose oil and is a widely popular ingredient in Middle Eastern sweets. I purchased my bottle from Jones The Grocer, Singapore, during my last visit there in January. The bottle stood in my kitchen cupboard for months until I finally put it into good use last Sunday to bake some rosewater cupcakes.

The recipe (taken and tweaked from 500 Cupcakes & Muffins by Fergal Connolly) originally calls for cream cheese and pistachio icing but since I didn't have any cream cheese and pistachios in hand and wanted to make the rosewater flavor more distinctive, I decided to substitute it with a light rosewater scented butter cream icing.


The cupcakes turned out lovely and fluffy with a faint tinge of rose flavor. I think that it is actually best not to use the cream cheese topping as it would certainly overpower the rosewater. Too bad I didn't have any red food coloring, these would look cuter with pink icing, but lucky I have some cute heart-shaped sprinkles to use. I brought these flirty cupcakes to my office and it was a hit.

Rosewater Cupcakes
(makes around 2 dozens of mini cupcakes)

Cupcake:
225 gr all purpose flour, shifted
225 gr unsalted butter
150 gr sugar (original recipe calls for 225 gr sugar, feel free to adjust as needed)
4 eggs
2 tbsp rosewater

Preheat oven to 200 C. Combine all ingredients in medium bowl and beat with electric mixer (medium speed) until well combined (around 2-3 minutes). Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before icing.

Icing:
250 gr icing sugar, shifted
125 gr unsalted butter
2 tbsp rosewater
red food coloring (optional)

Beat sugar and butter with electric mixer (medium speed) until light and fluffy. Add in rosewater and red food coloring, mix well.


P.S: I decided to name the flower cupcakes project as 'Alice in Wonderland' series. Simply because all the flowers reminded me of the movie (Queen of Hearts, the flowers in the garden, etc.). Next up is lavender cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails